Leckford Church

Leckford church is dedicated to St Nicholas and has a little wooden bell tower which probably dates from the time of the Armada. At that time an Act of Parliament was passed ordering churches which did not have a tower to build one in order to give warning of invasion and the tower at Leckford was built in response to this Act. The choir stalls and sanctuary chairs are Italian and were purchased by somebody who was on holiday in Italy in 1923 and saved them from being destroyed. During the Reformation it was ordered that all stone altars should be destroyed and replaced by a wooden table. The stone altar at Leckford survived because it was buried in the floor of the church.

Please click below for details of services at St Nicholas